Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Mind Forgetting From The Mind Forgot

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose"
~From the television show The Wonder Years

The quote given is quite a nice way to state what Memory is, or can be. We all know that memory is simply relevant to our life structure, it helps us keep those things which are necessary; things such as knowledge, experience, logic and a number of other substantial necessities. It's unfortunate for some who do not have this free gift of memory within them. This gift allows us to store our personal life's greatest treasures, from feelings, to moments in time we wish could simply have stayed with us a bit longer, and for the imaginative, forever.

Memory has a very dedicated loyalty, and for this I must speak my mind. It's not a cure for problems, nor a solution for pain or heartache. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind was great in its deliverance, but even better in its uproar of questions concerning memory.
Would it ever be possible to pick the memories of certain events, mishaps, and pain caused by the repercussions of decisions and choices we've made to simply be erased? It would be great if we just had a button of some sort, maybe like a big red button that you can push and in some crazy paradox of time, rid yourself of certain memories. Like a personal Memory Loss.

"I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making a much stronger person" -Author Unknown
I must say, not that I strongly disagree with this quote, but I do to some extent. Why? Because one person's philosophy isn't always another's gospel of choice. I can agree that 85% of life's teachings come from mistakes,
I really do. But I know that without a shadow of a doubt there are just things I wish I was able to rid myself of. Things that somewhat haunt, and come back from time-to-time. For this, I feel reserved, as do many. I enjoy life, I live at my fullest. One thing I do understand is that without these followings and episodes in our lives that don't always bring pleasure, and security to one's heart and mind is just a slight problem to keep our mind fixed for the greater things ahead. I guess everything does work in some fashion for a reason, but still...

...Where's the red button?

Thank You.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I agree, some life experiences do change and shape the people we've become, and others we'd wish away if all the wishing in the world would do it.
    But, Would you really want to forget? If it was erased from your memory, it would still have occurred, and the effects would linger despite the lack of memory.
    Some things that come back to haunt us need to be dealt with, and it would be very hard to deal with and overcome something you can't remember.
    For example, if you hit yourself in the head hard enough to knock yourself out, and woke up with no memory of said act, you'd still have a wicked headache and probably a concussion.
    So would you be content to live with the effects of your mistakes without the memory of what caused them?

    ReplyDelete