Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reaching into My Soul

I'm starting to wish that my love for writing and expressing myself in words would comeback. I could swear that I used to be pretty decent, and to some, I was even considered good at this. Oh no... writer's block? Whatever it is, I wish it would end and allow my feelings and ideas to simply flow to the extent of my own liking.

Enough of that.

Ok, so here's the thought I really wanted to entertain in tonight's post: Music.
Yes, music. I've been playing music, or what I know of it for the last four years or so; maybe longer, maybe not. But I seem to be stuck in the same place with my music as I am in my writing and this ought not to be, especially because they're both practices of delight for me and I absolutely feel drawn to them in the sense of a self calling. Do I think God, this Earth, and the people around me really care if I play or write? Perhaps not. But this is the beauty in it all because regardless of what everyone else wants or cares about, it's you that has to hunger for this growth and when it comes to self improvement it's going to be you that decides whether you want it or not.

I ran some errands today and as I was at a red light in front of a small café, I watched from the car and tried my best to block everything out so I could hear this musician who was playing alone on the small stage with a rather small audience of listeners and the feeling I got was a sense of urgency to learn more, do more, and play more. I couldn't hear what he was playing but it didn't matter because he had the confidence in himself to do it regardless.

I've taken my guitar outdoors a few times and played on Alondra Blvd. in front of the church I attend and
the feedback you get from people driving by is pretty amazing, and exciting. I've even wandered across the idea with some of my church peeps on learning a good group of songs, picking up a small team of singers, with some kind of percussion, like some bongos and heading to Starbucks and just having a good jam session outside. No money required, no sought after fame, no huge crowd following, but just a small group of people who care to listen to some soul-filled music and appreciate it.

In time maybe I'll find my own small stage, with a stool and a small spot light to break the nervousness of just playing. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment